Bang Khun Thian is an old district, believed to have been established in 1867 as an amphoe of Thonburi.
In 1972, Thonburi and Phra Nakhon Provinces were combined into Bangkok metropolis. Administrative units in the newly combined capital province were renamed from amphoe and tambon to “district” (khet) and “sub-district” (khwaeng). Thus, Bang Khun Thian became a district of Bangkok, composed of seven sub-districts: Bang Khun Thian, Bang Kho, Chom Thong, Bang Mot, Tha Kham, Bang Bon, and Samae Dam.
Due to population increases, a portion of Bang Khun Thian District was set up with its own district office and called Bang Khun Thian Branch 1. This new unit oversaw four sub-districts: Bang Khun Thian, Bang Kho, Bang Mot, and Chom Thong. In 1989, Bang Khun Thian Branch 1 was made a full district called Chom Thong District. In 1997, Bang Bon sub-district was separated from Bang Khun Thian and became its own district.
Bang Khun Thian has Bangkok’s only seashore. The coastline, about five km long, is muddy, containing mangrove forests and shrimp farms. The only way to access the Gulf of Thailand is via boat. A group of crab-eating macaque (Macaca fascicularis, Thai ลิงแสม), a kind of monkey, inhabits the coast near the sea. A fishing community is located there and the sea coast is known for its seafood restaurants.
Important temples in the district include Wat Kamphaeng (วัดกำแพง), Wat Kok (วัดกก), and Wat Bang Kradi (วัดบางกระดี่).
Error: (#10) This endpoint requires the 'manage_pages' permission or the 'Page Public Content Access' feature. Refer to https://developers.facebook.com/docs/apps/review/login-permissions#manage-pages and https://developers.facebook.com/docs/apps/review/feature#reference-PAGES_ACCESS for details. Type: OAuthException Code: 10 Please refer to our Error Message Reference.